A girl like me

Alumnus creates non-profit aimed at helping young moms and community

There is an old proverb that says, “it takes a village to raise a child,” and that saying couldn’t be truer today. From juggling work or school to parental responsibilities, raising a child can come with its own set of challenges. Schoolcraft Alumnus Tyra Moore knows first hand how important it is for a village to raise a child. From her own experience in teen pregnancy, Moore experienced how important it is to have that support system. This eventually led her to create an empowering grassroots organization, “A Girl Like Me, Inc” in 2019 to help all girls, teens, teen moms and young moms make healthy life choices through life skills classes, coaching, goal setting and character development.

“What motivated me to start my business was seeing all the help from my family, friends and community. Without their help I wouldn’t have had things I needed for my baby,” said Moore. “Just seeing that support I knew I wanted to one day pay it forward and help girls, teens and young moms like me. I also always have the belief that everyone was put on this earth to help each other.”

In the beginning, Moore’s business was funded from personal investments, donations and selling t-shirts. That start allowed her to grow into a full-blown charitable 501(c)(3) organization that offers free resources, mentoring programs, baby necessities and self care kits to girls 11-25 years old. 

Featured on numerous media outlets, including most recently on the Drew Barrymore’s show “Drew Gooders” in Nov. 2023, Moore has shared her story and her business in hopes to empower and motivate young girls who may be in unfortunate situations with insufficient support. 

“Everyone needs help, no matter what age you are. I grew up being bullied from people in preschool and up: I just wanted people to like and understand me. [After how much support I received at 14,] I was just so excited and overwhelmed because I really thought I was going to be judged,” said Moore in her interview. “I can use my story to help girls and [empower them] to focus and stay in school, don’t worry about the boys and I just wanted to help anyway I can.”

Her own teen pregnancy did not stop her from continuing to pursue her education, as she finished high school and graduated from Schoolcraft in 2023 with an Associates of Liberal Arts. 

“I chose Schoolcraft College because the school really worked with my busy schedule and the ability to stay virtual was great for me,” said Moore. 

Mirroring the college’s mission in community partnerships, Moore too prioritizes collaborative relationships around her business; including The International Girls Academy to further broadcast each other’s voices in Detroit via their book “Daughters of The Community.” 

“Many girls we helped are now paying it forward by joining us for volunteer work. They identify with the cause and are more empathetic and effective in helping women in need,” states Moore on her website. 

To contribute to “A Girl Like Me,” volunteer applications are open and welcome to aid in mentoring, community talks and outreach, as well as organizing donated items like baby and feminine products. They are also accepting financial and item donations. 

For more information, go to https://www.agirllikemeinc.org/.