The power of love
The power of love
July 2, 2024

Schoolcraft Skateboard Exhibition

David Byun
Person looking at students featured art.

Dear Schoolcraft Connection,

I attended the skateboard exhibition at Schoolcraft College today at 1 PM. The poster showed the place and time, with the event starting at 12 PM. I arrived around 12:30 PM.

Skateboard designs line the 400 hallway in the Forum Building during the Skateboard Exhibition by the Art Club.

The exhibition prepared some snacks and water for the attendees. It was a very thoughtful preparation for the event. Art Professors Stephanie Sarris and Cynthia Sarris prepared the entire show with their students. It is an annual event of the Art Club. She said the Art Club is not only organized for art major students but is also open to all Schoolcraft students. I think this makes it a very interesting art club for every student.

I was surprised by the dynamic and varied themes, expressions, and mediums. It was impressive to see how creatively the students could create art on skateboards with different ideas. The creativity was truly remarkable.

The surfaces and colors were totally different. I can’t believe they started with the same skateboard, but now each one is a unique piece of art. The variety of colors and surfaces chosen from different ideas and creativity is astonishing!

Some boards were connected to form one large panel, while others had very illustrative themes and unique colors. It was a fantastic experience, showcasing the students’ unlimited creativity and ideas for art.

The other hallway also had other students’ works on display, so I was lucky to enjoy even more great student art. There were acrylic paintings, watercolor paintings, and ceramic pieces from students. They were all beautiful, with wonderful colors, shapes, lines, and moods.

It was a truly wonderful experience of the exhibition.

David Byun attends the University of Michigan/Stamps Art School.
He takes art classes at Schoolcraft and also participated in the Skateboard Exhibit.