Parting is such sweet sorrow

A person of dramatics

Growing up and spending my whole life as a dancer, there was nothing more rewarding than the final bow of the performance. That moment was filled with honor, gratitude and a little bit of pure exhaustion. They could sometimes feel a little unfulfilled or stagnant, as I put so much work and passion into this, and now it’s done? That’s it? Thankfully, this final bow does not meet the same fate of disgruntlement. 

I have had the pleasure and honor to serve as Editor-in-Chief from 2022-2024. Although two years does not seem like a lot of time, they have been the most transitional and influential of my whole life. I got to work with some absolutely talented and dedicated people who will forever stick with me; including continuing to help and support each other even when our paths have deviated. 

I really found my voice and how to convey that voice in a productive manner that is respectful, while remaining true to how I feel. I have been truly spoiled by the teams I have worked with, and their trust in my leadership is something that I will always be grateful for. I appreciate their willingness to go along with my obnoxious group photos that go into the editorials and trying new strategies in our production. For what we have accomplished, I will ever be so proud of and I look forward to reading the tall stack of newspapers at the end of my desk. 

Thank you again to my team, the Schoolcraft campus and community friends who have picked up a newspaper and supported the Connection, and my mother for encouraging me to join the team back in May, 2022. Little shoutout to Ben Bolstrum who mentored me in the first year of my position and his patience for allowing me to learn at my own pace. Lastly, thank you Todd Stowell and Rena Laverty for being wonderful mentors and your unrelenting support in the student voice; my voice. 

I wish good luck to the future editors, especially the Editor-in-Chief. I know you will do wonderful things and I hope you get as much out of this position as I did. I look forward to reading. Merde!