The write attitude

Write Word 2022 award winners announced

Armando Saucedo

Daniel Shallohari receives the Global Citizenship Award during the 15th annual Write Word celebration on Monday, April 25, 2022 in the VisTaTech Center.

Ben Bolstrum, Editor-in-Chief

Every year Schoolcraft College hosts several artistic and writing challenges that allow students to flex their creativity and earn scholarships, money and other commendations. The Write Word event was held on April 25, hosted by English professor at Schoolcraft Anna Maheshwari and celebrated the accomplishments of these winners.

English Department Prize: Shayla Graham

Harward Malinowski Prize: Bryan Lamance

Pageturners is a book club where students write essays or create artwork based on how select books make them feel. This year, the featured books were Neil Simon’s “Barefoot in the Park,” Greer Macallister’s “The Magician’s Lie” and Jessica Bruder’s “Nomadland.

Pageturners Writing and Art Awards

Pageturners Writing Award: Madison Jaduga

Pageturners Art Award: Jayne Harju

Several students excelled in the classroom this year and they were also celebrated at this event as a result. From keeping up with due dates and creating impassioned pieces, to working hard to understand the material more, these are all students who have earned their place on this list.

ENG 055 Best Student Award: Heather Kahler

ENG 050 Best Student Award: Kyra Dickinson

Most Improved Developmental English Student: JoaQuaina Perry

Global Citizenship Award: Daniel Shallohari

The Art Lindenberg and LAND Awards highlight the creative endeavors of students through several different categories of writing. These awards cover fiction, non-fiction and poetry.

Art Lindenberg Award Poetry: Mitchel Barber, Ben Bolstrum

Art Lindenberg Award Short Fiction: Ben Bolstrum, Anna Marji

Art Lindenberg Award Creative Nonfiction: Kris Lee, Tahirah Viox

LAND Creative Writing Contest 

Poetry: Ben Bolstrum

“I challenge you to challenge the status quo and to fulfill your commitment to enhance others’ lives, because by doing so, you will be enhancing your own,” said Maheshwari during the ceremony. “I hope you’ll carry this message in your heart. With you as our future, I know the world is in good hands.” 

With this, the 2022 showcase of Write Word was concluded  The winners were awarded with certificates commemorating their accomplishments and commended for their work.