The Schoolcraft Greenhouse is located adjacent to the Forum Building.
Greet the greenery
April 29, 2024
(left to right) Madison Grieb, Nick Yamine and Luis Xhemollari are the 2024 Pythagorean Prize award winners. (photo courtesy of Schoolcraft College)
Achieving greatness
April 17, 2024

Forwards on fire

Women’s Soccer secures 4-1 win over Skippers, remain undefeated in conference play

The Ocelots spent a good deal of time playing offensively in the first half of their Sept. 6 home match against St. Clair Community College (SCCC), working ever so diligently to hit the back of the net. Eighteen of their attempted shots were on the net rather than in the net. There was dynamic passing on both sides until the Skippers got a hold of the ball and broke through the Ocelot defense. At the 25th  minute mark of the first half,  St. Clair’s Jessica Peters broke open the scoring to give the Skippers the lead, 1-0. 

Schoolcraft responded when sophomore forward Paige Stephens made her way down the field and tied the game 1-1 at the 36 minute mark. 

Stephens wasn’t done yet. Six minutes later, at the 42 minute mark, Stephens fouled in the box leading to her second goal of the game off a penalty kick unassisted. 

“Today, out of all of our games, has been the best one yet,” said Stephens. 

With the clock ticking down, Schoolcraft held on tightly to a  2-1 lead before the end of the first half.

The Ocelots continued to play the second half well, building momentum, making more attempts on net. Schoolcraft ran the ball deep into the Skippers zone, gaining scoring chances with eight shots on goal. By the 71 minute, freshman forward Kyra Brandon clinched another goal pushing the Ocelots lead 3-1. 

Shortly after at the 77th minute, Brandon connected for her second goal of the game with assists from Samantha Guciardo & Brynn Riley

“I think today went really well, we played together as a team, that’s the best soccer we’ve had so far,” said Brandon. 

Schoolcraft finished the game with a  4-1 victory, maintaining an undefeated record of 4-0 in the Michigan Community College Athletic Association (MCCAA) and 4-2 overall. 

Notable performances were by midfielder Kihana King, midfielder Isabela Grande, forward Ashley Hughes, forward Brynn Riley, midfielder Bri Waranauckas, defense Victoria Kebbe, midfielder Daniela Alvarez, defense Ileanna Zuniga, and defense Samantha Guciardo. 

Schoolcraft Assistant Coach Scott Duhl added, “We thought this was our best game that we played, just in terms of possession, shape of the team, chances we generated.”

The Schoolcraft Ocelots will continue their season on Friday, Sept. 8, hosting Delta College. Friday’s kickoff is set for noon at the Ocelot Soccer Complex. 

For up to date schedules, scores, rosters and game stats go to www.schoolcraftocelots.com.