The Student News Site of Schoolcraft College

Schoolcraft Connection

Schoolcraft Connection

Schoolcraft Connection

Cruise control

Ocelots beat #18 Kellogg Community College, 6-2

The women’s soccer team beat #18 Kellogg CC, 6-2, earning their ninth victory of the season on Sept. 20. 

Bruins midfielder Lydia Schamanek got the Bruins on the board with a pk goal in the 6th minute that got past Schoolcraft goalie Jami Martindale making it 1-0 in favor of the Bruins. The Ocelots responded shortly after at the 10th minute by forward Ashley Hughes. Hughes was assisted by forward Paige Stephens and midfielder Kihana King. The score remained 1-1, with Schoolcraft playing defensively during the beginning portion of the first half. 

In the 22nd minute, Hughes scored her second goal  being assisted by forward Kyra Brandon and defender Natalia Sharbo.

“We combined a lot of passes and we had good runs across their back line,” said Hughes.

In the 24th minute Brandon scored, increasing the Ocelots lead 3-1. Brandon’s goal was assisted by midfielder Daniela Alvarez and Hughes. A very crucial stop was made by defender Victoria Kebbe on Schoolcraft at the 33:00 minute, keeping the Bruins away from the net. 

At the halftime mark, the Ocelots held a 3-1 lead. 

Schoolcraft’s defender Bella Elliott scores her first goal at the 52nd minute, with assists by Hughes and Alvarez. Elliott noted communication and momentum of the team’s movement were notable highlights of this particular game.

“Today we did a lot better talking to each other, giving eachother information on the field, that’s why we had six goals,” said Elliot. 

With 24:00 minutes left, Schoolcraft maintained 4-1 lead. The Bruins Annabelle Smith scored unassisted on a free kick at 73rd minute cutting the Ocelots lead to 4-2.

At the 74th minute midfielder Elizabeth Kowalsky scores with assistance from Alvarez.

Sealing the game in the 79th minute, defender Samantha Guciardo scored increasing Schoolcraft’s lead, 6-2. Guciardo was assisted by Alvarez and Brandon. 

Jami Martindale played all 90 minutes in net and saved 8 of 10 shots faced.

Not only were the ladies happy with the team’s performance, but Assistant Coach Scott Duhl noted, “you can see we’re getting a better idea of how we want to attack and how we want to play.”

Shots on goal were in favor of the Ocelots 14-13. The Ocelots are now 9-3 overall and a 7-1 in conference play. 

For more information on schedules, rosters, and stats go to www.schoolcraftocelots.com