Final stretch

Women’s soccer win streak hits 13
Summer Sultana
The #7 ranked Schoolcraft Women’s soccer team have now won 13 games in a row.

Friday the 13th is known for bad luck and superstitions, but that didn’t stop the Ocelots who were hunting for their lucky 13th win in a row.

The women didn’t let any sneaky suspicions take over their winning mentality and beat Owen’s Community College, 7-2. 

Defender Bella Elliott got the Ocelots on the scoreboard at the 11th minute, scoring with an assist from defender Samantha Guciardo. At the 22nd minute, forward Ashley Hughes scored her first of three goals with assists from defender Victoria Kebbe and midfielder Ellizabeth Kowalsky. Shortly after at the 25th minute, Hughes scored again with an assist from Guciardo. 

The Ocelots then led 3-0 at the half. 

Quickly in the second half the Ocelots wasted no time hitting the back of the net at the 47th minute by Hughes. This was Hughes’ third goal of the game with assists from Guciardo and Kebbe putting the Ocelots up 4-0. Forward Paige Stephens scored at the 59th minute with assists from Hughes and Guciardo. 

At the 80th minute, Owen’s Adriene Schiets scored unassisted, getting past Ocelots goaltender Fatima El-Zein. Owen’s added another goal by Kelsie Katschke at the 83rd minute, which was an unassisted penalty kick making it 5-2. 

The Ocelots responded back with goals by Forward Grace Ferraro at the 86th minute, assisted by defender Ileanne Zungia, and Zungia in the 90th minute unassisted.

The team is currently 17-3 overall and 13-1 in conference play. 

On a chilly Oct.11 afternoon 7th ranked Ocelots dominated in their performance, beating Grand Rapids Community College (GRCC), 7-3. 

Forward Ashley Hughes scored first in the 2nd minute with an assist from defender Victoria Kebbe. 

GRCC quickly responded and scored in the 5th minute by forward Abigail Buttermore with an assist from midfielder Samantha Hunting making it 1-1.

Soon after at the 10th minute, defender Samantha Guciardo scored for Schoolcraft without any assists. Not even a minute later, defender Bella Elliott scored unassisted. 

At the 15th minute forward Kyra Brandon scores without any assists. Hughes scored her second goal at the 16th minute with assists from forward Paige Stephens and Elliott. 

Hughes noted, “We were still able to connect a lot of passes and beat players on the field.”

The Ocelots remain in the lead, 5-1, at the 34th minute. The ladies spent the first half playing offensively and held a 5-1 lead. 

“We were communicating our errors and what we needed to do better, and then giving praise when needed,” said Kebbe. 

GRCC started the second half with a goal at the 48th minute from Buttermore unassisted. Schoolcraft responded with a penalty kick goal by Stephens at the 55th minute unassisted. 

At the 70th minute midfielder Bri Waranauckas scored with an assist from Kebbe. Now at the 78th minute, Schoolcraft remains in the lead, 7-2. The last goal of the game was scored by GRCC’s midfielder Alexandria Ellaworth at the 81st minute, with an assist from Buttermore. 

The ladies took the win, with a final score of 7-3.

“I think everyone was really hyped up today, we were all on top of it, helping each other, talking to each other on the field and off the field,” said Waranauckas.

For more information on schedules, rosters, and stats go to www.schoolcraftocelots.com