#9 Ocelots suffer defeat in opening game at Nationals

TUCSON, AZ – The #9 Schoolcraft Ocelots begun their national tournament facing off against #4 Northeast on Nov. 12, 2023 in Tucson, Arizona.

In what was a rematch of the opening game of the year for the Ocelots, Schoolcraft and Northeast would face off in their opening game of the national tournament. Unlike the first time the two teams played, one goal would not be enough to decide this contest. It is too bad for the Ocelots that one goal would not be enough as Ashley Hughes would get Schoolcraft on the board first in the 33rd minute. Hughes would have help from Mya Sheridan on the goal. Schoolcraft had plenty of chances early with loose balls I the box but was only able to capitalize on one of them.

In the second half, Northeast showed why they are ranked #4. The Hawks would show a full out attack that the Ocelots were only able to fight off for so long. Northeast would get off 17 total shots in the second half and capitalize on 2 of them within 2 minutes of each other to overtake the Ocelots. Northeast’s keeper would make 3 saves to keep the Ocelots goal total at 1. The score would remain the same as Northeast would defeat Schoolcraft for the second time this season.

Jami Martindale got the start in net for Schoolcraft, she would face 9 shots on goal and make 7 saves.

Schoolcraft looks to bounce back tomorrow, November 13, needing a win to have a chance to move on through the pool play stage. Kick-off is slated for 7:30PM EST against Jones College.