CEO of American Institute of Certified Public Accountants hosts a Coffee and Conversation for aspiring professionals

Izabella Allie
CEO of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Barry Melancon, spent his introductory presentation of the roles accountants fill, with specificity on reliability this career field holds as the governing “behind the scenes” body in the society we know as of today.

Coffee and Conversation events allow for informal conversations with speakers and the audience. This approach promotes more intimate and specific topics to be covered that the students at that particular event are interested in discussing; with also opportunities to speak. 

With this goal in mind, the Schoolcraft Accounting department and the Association of Certified Public Accountants hosted a Coffee and Conversations event on Jan. 31 featuring speaker, CEO of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Barry Melancon.

Students gathered in the Collaborative Learning Lab in the Vistatech Center to listen to featured speaker and CEO of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Barry Melancon on Jan. 31, 2024. (Izabella Allie)

This event was aimed at students interested in business and accounting. The room was primarily full of students from Schoolcraft, Wayne State University, Rochester University, U of M: Dearborn, Concordia College, Walsh College and a several local high school students. 

“In the United States, we enjoy the strongest capital market system. The foundation of our capitalism is based on trust,” said Schoolcraft Accounting Professor and CPA Michelle Randall. “People need to trust the financial information they rely upon to make decisions about: buying, selling, borrowing, lending and investing [which is why this event was crucial and so important to me.]”

This particular Coffee and Conversation event was intended to expose and provide students access to accounting professionals to ask questions directly and inform students of the career possibilities. The featured speaker, CEO of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Barry Melancon, spent his introductory presentation of the roles accountants fill, with specificity on reliability this career field holds as the governing “behind the scenes” body in the society we know as of today.

“CPAs are the most trusted profession in the world, and the world is missing a lot of trust today. So, there’s a nice purpose of what our profession is all about that can relate to young people,” said. “I think it’s important when people like myself or others come to different places, and spend some time on college campuses to make that connection.”

Melancon not only shared his love for the profession, but also encouraged an informal dialogue with the audience after his introduction and was met with many questions. These questions came from not only students, but also peers of Melancon and professionals of the accounting career field. 

“I’m here to help support the MICPA and [aid in] showing students who the leadership is and where you can take your career,” said Chair of the Michigan Institute of Certified Public Accountants Board of Directors, Jamie Lopiccolo. “I am very passionate and love my profession very well; so giving back to it is something that I’ve always wanted to do.” 

Noticeably so, CPAs and those in the accounting field adore what they do. Luckily, the students who attended each got a golden nugget from the Coffee and Conversation event. Survey results sourced from Professor Randall detail that 81% of the students were more interested in the accounting field. Common comments included the versatility of field and the appreciation for the transparent and upfront atmosphere created by the speaker. 

“He said that it’s important to remain who you are and stay true to yourself. As long as you are authentic, you’ll end up where you’re supposed to be,” said Accounting Major Adam Rose. “I think the point he was making was that other people placed their trust in him because they knew who he was and they knew he could not only get the job done, but do it in the best way possible.”

Stay on the lookout for more Coffee and Conversation events. Maybe one day you will discover a profession you never considered before.