Let’s fight hunger

Student Food Pantry aids in food insecurity

We often worry about children and teens ages newborn through eighteen going hungry, but hunger doesn’t stop at adulthood. 

Recent studies have shown that students learn better on a full, not hungry stomach. Let’s face it, times are tough. No one should experience food insecurity and here at Schoolcraft, we recognize that. 

Student Activities Office student employees Jake Bolstrum and Noah Walters (right) restock the food pantry shelves. (Joshua Hardy)

Many students are unaware of the amenities that Schoolcraft has to offer. The Student Activities Office in the Lower Level of the Vistatech Center assists students daily in applying for and visiting the food pantry. Something you can expect from the Student Activities Office is discretion with zero questions or judgment. All credit students and faculty, no matter their financial status or amount of credits completed, can take home 4 bags of groceries per month. These items include but aren’t limited to mac and cheese, spaghetti, soups, canned fruits and vegetables. Thanks to our wonderful colleagues in The Hinkle Center, we are now able to pair gift cards for local meats, dairy and fresh produce, upon request.

The Food Pantry relies partially on donations from the community with the goal to maintain well stocked canned goods. Specifically, it has seen a spike in the need for microwave meals. Many students lack access to stoves and ovens. Supplying microwavable meals closes that gap as Schoolcraft offers public microwaves on campus. 

For those interested in donating or to sign up for the food pantry, visit the Student Activities Office in the Lower Level of Vistatech, or call us at 734-462-4422.