The cultural horcrux of nostalgia

The wizarding world of potions, wands and mythical creatures
Warner+Bros
Warner Bros

“Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone”
Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Family
Released: November 16, 2001
Runtime: 2 hr 32 min
S
treaming on: Max, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, Hulu, Apple TV and Google Play Movies
Rating: 10/10 Stars 

Relish in nostalgia and experience the enchantment with the very beginning of the story of the boy who lived in the magical film, “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.” 

This motion picture was brilliantly directed by Chris Columbus and follows the story of a young boy named Harry Potter, played by actor Daniel Radcliff with friends. Shortly into the film, Potter discovers he is a wizard accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. He is promptly taken into the wizarding world by a gentle giant named Rubeus Hagrid, played by actor Robbie Coltrane, who briefly explains to him his magical genealogy while helping him gather his unique school supplies. Early Sept. first, Potter embarks to Platform 9 ¾ to board the Hogwarts Express where he meets new friends named Hermione Granger, played by actor Emma Watson, and Ron Weasley played by actor Rupert Grint. 

Upon entry to Hogwarts, new captivating and mysterious characters emerge, including Professor McGonagall who is played by actor Dame Maggie Smith, Headmaster Albus Dumbledore who is played by actor Richard Harris and Professor Severus Snape who is played by actor Alan Rickman. After entering the main corridor, students are then sorted by a spellbound sorting hat into one of four Hogwarts Houses; Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw. 

The newly defined trio quickly find themselves engulfed in many eerie circumstances; including Potter’s incident during a Quidditch game, a troll in the girls’ bathroom, a dangerous life-sized game of wizard’s chess and a three headed dog. Among the threatening events, Potter experiences an exceptionally narrow escape from the dark wizard who murdered his parents, Lord Voldemort, played by actor Ralph Fiennes. 

This film is an exceptionally close adaptation from the novel series of the same name, that was written by author J.K Rowling. It presents an entire world full of new powerful potions, bewitching wands and spells, mythological creatures and so much more. The acting is phenomenal, and each character was beautifully developed with distinguished and lovable personalities. The scenes in this film are breathtaking as they capture some of Scotland’s stunning architecture, views of nature and intricate paintings embellished by some exceptional special effects. Its contents also feature hilarious comedic reliefs, touching moments and intense heart pounding action. Audience members will easily find themselves immersed in this world, feeling as though they are right there living it. 

Of course, some things from the book did not make it into the film’s adaptation, such as Weasleys brother Charlie helping to save Hagrid’s pet dragon named Norbert and Potter also seeing his parents in the mirror of Erised. Some aspects have also slightly changed, such as when and how Potter opens his gifted Nimbus 2000 and the way that Professor Quirrell dies. These minor changes did not impact on the film’s quality, keeping it at a firm 10 out of 10 stars.

No matter your age, “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” makes for an enchanting escape on the big screen. Grab your chocolate frogs, a glass of butterbeer, and keep your wands ready for a magical movie night with Harry Potter! 

For reviews of the remaining the films series look  for them online in the upcoming weeks.