Burrow in bookworms

Pageturners to discuss Spark’s “A Walk to Remember” Feb 17

Madison Ling, Campus Life Editor

As the winter winds howl and bring on the woefully frigid temperatures, it can be challenging to pass the time and maintain interaction amidst the pandemic. Thankfully, Schoolcraft College’s Pageturners Book Club, has the perfect cure. 

This shivery February, cuddle up with the first of two selections “A Walk to Remember” by Nicholas Sparks. 

The novel follows the story of Landon Carter as he reflects on his last year at Beaufort High. The son of a statesman never thought he would fall for was Jamie Sullivan, the quiet girl who always carried a Bible with her schoolbooks and was daughter of the town’s Baptist minister. She took care of her widowed father, rescued hurt animals, helped out at the local orphanage, and seemed to live in a world of her own. No boy had ever asked her out and Landon would never have dreamed of it. Then a twist of fate made Jamie his partner for the homecoming dance, and Landon Carter’s life would never be the same.

On Feb. 17 from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. join your fellow book worms for a virtual book discussion about the book.

“During COVID-19, our book discussions have been well attended despite it having to be virtual. The group uses Blackboard Collaborate to facilitate our book discussions. It has worked well for us and provided a safe forum for discussion,” states Co-Coordinator Denise Schell. “Pageturners strives to create a community forum for the discussion of literary works by promoting critical thinking and the exchange of ideas.”

At the start of each semester, several books are selected for the book club to enjoy together. This winter, the reading roster includes “The Hound of the Baskervilles” by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (January), “A Walk to Remember” by Nicholas Sparks (February), “Red Tail Captured, Red Tail Free: The Memoirs of a Tuskegee Airman and POW,” by Alexander Jefferson with Lewis H. Carlson (February) and “The Notorious RBG” by Irin Carmon and Shana Khizhnik.

Discussions, Meet the Author events and the annual Writing and Art Awards competition, which offers monetary prizes, all serve as an incentive to read each literary masterpiece this semester.

“Each month’s book selection is usually presented by an Honor’s student, who introduces the work. The coordinators and the presenter help moderate the overall discussion and interpretation by group members. We hope to see participation grow as current members continue to share their observations and interpretations freely,” she concluded.

Don’t delay, everyone. Grab a favorite blanket to cuddle up with and start turning those pages! Make sure to consult the Pageturners schedule to lock in the dates and times for the remaining events and to obtain the guest link to Blackboard Collaborate. 

For more information about Pageturners, please email Co-Coordinators Denise Schell at [email protected]or Wayne Pricer at [email protected].