The Student News Site of Schoolcraft College

Schoolcraft Connection

Schoolcraft Connection

Schoolcraft Connection

College scores with new soccer fields

Additions coming to the south end of campus
Rendered image of the new soccer fields adjacent to the South parking lot that will be coming in June 2024. (Photo courtesy of Schoolcraft College)

Utilizing all space on campus and prioritizing local partnerships, Schoolcraft College is collaborating with the Michigan Wolves Soccer Club to install two new soccer fields. 

“Adding premiere training and game fields will continue to provide an elite environment for the Michigan Wolves players of all ages,” said Schoolcraft Women’s soccer team Coach Ken Shingledecker. “Schoolcraft College continues to add facilities that provide an excellent experience for the Schoolcraft Soccer programs.” 

Dedicated to continuing strong and successful community connections, the college wanted to invest in an adequate space for young players and give back to the local sports clubs. Creating this space ensures that these little kickers have the best playing experience, as well as more opportunities for more youths to play. 

“The Wolves have over 600 kids that would love to be at Schoolcraft College that aren’t. They have certain programs that are here in the dome and the outdoor field, but the rest of them are scattered around Plymouth and Livonia,” said the President of Schoolcraft College, Dr. Cerny. “They approached us and asked if there was a way we could look at expanding. With our athletic programs expanding right now, [we could] absolutely [include this addition].”

Furthermore, an advantage these players receive including access to Schoolcraft’s medical facilities in case of emergency or injury. 

“One of the major benefits of training on Schoolcraft’s campus is not only the top-notch soccer fields, but the fact that it is truly a holistic asset to the community. If a player unfortunately gets injured, we have trainers and medical facilities just steps away,” said Ed McCarthy, executive director of Michigan Wolves Soccer Club from the Schoolcraft Website. “We are elated for the new soccer fields our players and their families will soon be able to enjoy. Not only will this partnership enhance the physical and mental development of our student athletes, but it will bring our community closer.”

The two new soccer fields of artificial turf will be on the south end of campus, adjacent to the parking lot of the Liberal Arts Building and the Trinity Elite Center. These are specifically designed to offer four different field sizes, accommodating all ages of soccer players. 

“We are proud of our successful partnerships with diverse organizations to make our institution a desirable resource for others,” said Dr. Cerny from the Schoolcraft website. “This development is the next step to making Schoolcraft College the community destination it’s become known for.” 

With fun in mind, these new versatile fields will institute a safe, primary space for the Livonia soccer club to keep their players together; making Schoolcraft a hub for all community members.