The Student News Site of Schoolcraft College

Schoolcraft Connection

Schoolcraft Connection

Schoolcraft Connection

Let’s roll!

Film Club is taking over Schoolcraft

Can you act, film, edit or all the above? 

Whether you are comfortable being in front or behind the camera, Schoolcraft’s Film Club has a place for everyone. 

Meeting every Friday at 4 p.m., the Film Club spends their time constructing video ideas, delegating production, attending community events, scripting and editing; or even fun craft nights like painting ducks or vinyl records/CD. 

“One of my biggest goals is to help everyone feel welcome and feel like they have a place in an area where they feel comfortable,” said Co-President of the Film Club, Madisyn Brooks. “Film is typically a field where men are more commonly in leadership roles, [Co-President Angelina Seranian and I wanted to include more diversity in our club] and try to involve all members of the Schoolcraft Community.” 

Experience is not required for any component of the film-making process, as the club’s narrative is that everyone learns a little bit of everything and tries new things. However, those with experience can gain more portfolio work and attune/critique their current skills. Thus, advancing their creative exploratory freedom in their films compared to classes. 

“I’m very passionate about film and being behind the scenes; it’s something I want to pursue in the future. Ever since I was really young, I really liked that feeling from walking out of the movie theater and feeling like I’m the main character. I want to give that nostalgia to other people,” said Film Club member, Matthew Wilder. 

Current members have joined for numerous reasons, whether it was for social or professional experience. The group collectively feels like a family and gives all of their support to one another. 

“Overall, it’s really good for social life and as I am transfering over to Oakland for acting, it’s a good experience to get under my belt which I can put on my resume,” said Film Club member, Evan Allen. “[The club] feels like a second family away from home. They’re all really good friends of mine and I care about every single one of them.” 

The Film club is always open to new members and is in search of the next student leaders. Especially because Brooks and Seranian are graduating this semester! 

To join, reach out to the Student Activities Office at 734-462-4422 or [email protected].